- No products in the cart.
Greg Hancock will make a late decision on whether to take his place in this weekend’s upcoming Speedway Grand Prix in Malilla, Sweden.
Greg was forced to pull out of the British Grand Prix in Cardiff three weeks ago after one ride, after dislocating his shoulder in the days before and then doing so again twice in practice.
He hasn’t ridden since and after seeking medical advice, has been advised that he needs surgery to repair the badly-damaged joint, but with a recovery time of three to six months, GH wants to try and delay it until the end of the season.
After speaking to several specialists, one of whom deals with several top Motocross stars in the US, he has spent the last two weeks in therapy and trying to strengthen the shoulder with the aim of resuming his season in Malilla this weekend.
“It’s been a tough couple of weeks and I’ve just tried to do everything I can with the shoulder, I’ve been trying to strengthen and stabilise it so it at least feels like it won’t come out again.
“To be honest, the surgeon told me I’d be mad to try and race again without having an operation but he also told me that he knows what racers are like! I want to try and get through the rest of the season and then get it done in the Winter but it all depends on how strong I can get it for now.
“I’m going to practice on my small track at home and just see how it feels, if it feels okay then I’ll go and do some laps on a bigger track and hopefully I’ll be okay to go and race in Malilla. That is my goal, I want to be there but I will know pretty much as soon as I’m back on the bike whether it’s going to hold up.
“I’ll make a decision on Wednesday or Thursday but I’ve got my fingers firmly crossed at the moment.”